If you are moving you need to report a change of address to the US postal service. This will ensure that you do not have any disruption in the flow of your mail and that you do not miss any important mail. There are 2 methods that you can use to change your address with the US postal service and there are other services that you should consider when you do this.

Changing Your Address

There are 2 methods that you can use when you change your address with the US postal service. The first and the easiest is to complete the change of address online through the USPS official website. The second option is to request a Movers Guide from your local post office.

For most people, submit change of address form online will be the best option. This is also the option that is preferred by the USPS because of the speed and convenience for everyone. When you complete the online form for the change of address, you will receive an email confirmation of the change.

The Movers Guide is a much slower and more time-consuming method of changing address. You will need to visit your local post office and get the guide from them. You will then have to complete the steps outlined in the guide and it can take longer to receive a confirmation that the change has been made.

Other Services To Consider

When changing your address, there are other services offered by the USPS that you should consider. These are ideal if you are completing a temporary move or simply heading out of town for a period of time. The first service to look at is to have your mail forwarded to a new address.

Change of Address Tips

Forwarding your mail is ideal for moves that are temporary. The USPS is able to forward your mail from the old address to the new one for 15 days each year. To use this service, you will have to fill out the change of address form and complete the mail forwarding section. This section will cover the type of move being completed as well as the start and end date of the mail forwarding. You could also consider the premium forwarding service, but this will come at a higher cost.

The USPS is also able to hold your mail for you if you are only going to be out of town for a while or do not have a new address yet. It is important to note that the USPS will only offer this if you are going to be away for 3 to 30 days. During this time, the USPS will hold your mail at your local post office and you can then pick up the mail. If you want to use this service, you can request it up to 30 days in advance or to start with the next scheduled delivery day. If you are going to be gone for longer than 30 days, you will need to look at mail forwarding.